Weather Warning for the north of Scotland and central southern England
Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks (SSEN) has today issued an updated Weather Warning in preparation for a period of unsettled weather which could impact its electricity network in central southern England from this afternoon (Tuesday 23 July), and the north of Scotland from tonight into Wednesday this week.
SSEN’s current weather model shows thunderstorms approaching from the south west, with a significant band of lightning reaching the south west of England from 4pm this afternoon clearing by Wednesday morning.
Heavy thunderstorms are also forecast in the north of Scotland, with a band of lightning reaching Argyll from midnight tonight and tracking across mainland Scotland in a north-easterly direction before moving out to the North Sea by lunchtime on Wednesday.
In preparation, SSEN has enacted its resilience plans, increasing its standby resources in anticipation of potential damage to its network. Its teams are proactively contacting customers on its Priority Services Register to offer extra assistance where required and are liaising with local resilience partners to help coordinate efforts to prepare for potential supply interruptions.
SSEN is also urging people to not approach any damage to its equipment and instead, report it to SSEN by calling 105 or via its Power Track App and engineers will investigate as soon as possible.
Customers are also being encouraged to be prepared for the possibility of disruption to supplies by:
- Saving the emergency power cut number – 105 – to your phone to report any loss of supply or damage to the electricity network
- Downloading SSEN’s Power Track app to give you details of power cuts and restoration times. You can also report power cuts and network damage through the Power Track app
- Going to SSEN’s website where there is a wealth of advice and information on how to deal with a power cut, or to chat live to one of SSEN’s advisors via its Webchat service
- Following SSEN on Facebook and Twitter for regular updates
Customers can register for SSEN's Priority Services Register (PSR) if they require extra assistance. People can qualify for the PSR if they:
- Are dependent on electricity for home medical care
- Have a chronic illness or short term medical condition
- Are disabled
- Have special communication needs
- Have children under the age of five
- Are over the age of 60
To find out more about the PSR, click here or call 0800 294 3259.