Weather Warning issued for central southern England – Saturday 27 April
Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks (SSEN) has today issued a Weather Warning in preparation for a period of high winds which could impact its network in central southern England tomorrow, Saturday 27 April.
SSEN’s current weather model shows winds strengthening from the early hours of the morning through to around 6pm, with the potential for gusts of 40 to 55mph across coastal areas and parts of Wiltshire, Somerset, Oxfordshire and Berkshire.
The weather conditions have the potential to result in damage to SSEN’s overhead line network through fallen trees and wind-born debris, leading to some interruptions to supplies.
In preparation, SSEN has enacted its resilience plans, increasing its standby resources, to ensure we are prepared to react to any potential damage. SSEN is monitoring the weather closely, and if necessary will proactively contact customers on its Priority Services Register to offer extra assistance. SSEN is liaising with local resilience partners to help coordinate efforts to prepare for potential supply interruptions.
SSEN is also urging people to not approach any damage to its equipment and instead, report it to SSEN by calling 105 or via its Power Track App and engineers will investigate as soon as possible.
Customers are also being encouraged to be prepared for the possibility of disruption to supplies by:
- Saving the emergency power cut number – 105 – to your phone to report any loss of supply or damage to the electricity network
- Downloading SSEN’s Power Track app to give you details of power cuts and restoration times. You can also report power cuts and network damage through the Power Track app
- Going to SSEN’s website where there is a wealth of advice and information on how to deal with a power cut, or to chat live to one of SSEN’s advisors via its Webchat service
- Following SSEN on Facebook and Twitter for regular updates
Customers can register for SSEN's Priority Services Register (PSR) if they require extra assistance. People can qualify for the PSR if they:
- Are dependent on electricity for home medical care
- Have a chronic illness or short term medical condition
- Are disabled
- Have special communication needs
- Have children under the age of five
- Are over the age of 60
To find out more about the PSR, click here or call 0800 294 3259.