Utilities join forces to provide extra help to vulnerable customers
Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks (SSEN) has joined forces with Thames Water to provide extra help to those who need it most when faced with the possibility of being without electricity or water.
Both utilities already offer their own additional services to vulnerable customers across Thames Valley and beyond, but are now working in partnership so customers who meet Priority Services Register criteria can use one point of contact to sign up for both.
The collaboration means a more streamlined system for those looking for assistance during situations where there may be a power or water outage and, in turn, enables SSEN and Thames Water to provide that help quickly and efficiently by knowing in advance what extra support their customers need.
Residents across the region are being urged to find out how the Priority Services Register can help them and sign up if they meet the following criteria:
- Are dependent on electricity for home medical care, for example a kidney dialysis machine or ventilator
- Have a chronic illness or short term medical condition; for example you are recovering from a major operation
- Are disabled
- Have special communication needs; for example because you are blind, partially sighted, deaf or hard of hearing
- Are over 60 years old
- Have dementia
Those eligible for the scheme will then benefit from:
- Priority treatment and updates during a power of water outage
- Nominate someone for us to contact on your behalf
- Dedicated 24 hour priority services phone number
- Communication tailored to your needs
- Peace of mind and a security password to keep you safe
Age UK Berkshire, which is backing the collaboration between the utilities, said: “We are delighted to be working with SSEN and Thames Water to spread the word about this valuable service. Winter can be a worrying time for older people and this service ensures that they are supported as quickly as possible.”
To find out more and to register for the scheme, please go to: https://www.ssen.co.uk/PriorityServices/ or www.ssen.co.uk/PSR/ThamesWater