SSEN Weather Alert - Tuesday 12 September
Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks (SSEN) is preparing to respond to high winds that are forecast to hit central southern England from 18:00 tonight (Tuesday) until around 07:00 on Wednesday 13 September.
SSEN monitors the weather days in advance and its current weather model shows a short, sharp period of high winds peaking between 22:00 tonight and 04:00 tomorrow.
As high winds have the potential to cause some interruptions to power supplies, SSEN is asking customers to be prepared for the possibility of disruption to supplies and planned jobs.
SSEN is ensuring that preparations and resources are in place to deal with any issues that may affect its network.
SSEN’s Director of Customer Operations, Craig Gilroy, said: “As we monitor the weather, we’re aware in advance of any potential issues and are well prepared with additional frontline and support staff on standby to handle any damage to our network; restoring power to our customers as quickly and safely as possible. Extra telephony staff are also available to ensure that any customers calling in about a power cut or to report damage to our equipment will have their call answered as quickly as possible.
“The current forecast is predicting gusts of wind up to 60mph along the coast, with slightly lower speeds of 55mph inland. High wind speeds mean that our engineers might not be able to climb poles or conduct repairs until it is safe for them to do it. So if our customers do experience a fault, we hope they can remain patient, safe in the knowledge we are doing everything we can to restore their supplies.
“If any of our customers do come across any damage to our equipment, we ask that they don’t approach it as it may still be live. Instead, call us on the single emergency number 105 and we’ll get our engineers out to investigate as soon as possible.”
Customers are encouraged to be prepared in the event of possible disruption to power supplies, by:
- Saving the new emergency power cut number – 105 – to your phone to use if your power goes off, or if you see any damage to the electricity network.
- Downloading SSEN’s Power Track app to give you details of power cuts and restoration times.
- Going to SSEN’s website where there is a wealth of advice and information on how to prepare for a possible loss of power.
- Following SSEN on Facebook and Twitter for regular updates
In the event of an interruption in power supplies, SSEN’s customer service team will make outbound calls to customers on our Priority Service Register (PSR) to offer extra assistance, where required. People can qualify for the PSR if they:
- Are dependent on electricity for home medical care
- Have a chronic illness or short term medical condition
- Are disabled
- Have special communication needs
- Have a young baby or receive a state pension.
- To find out more about the PSR, click here or call 0800 294 3259.